What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin tooth-colored porcelain shells that cover the front surface of your natural teeth to conceal flaws, enhance the appearance of your teeth and heighten the esthetics of your smile. As the shells are bound to the front of the teeth, they can alter the color, shape, size and length of your teeth. Only minimal preparation is generally required to provide immediate, effective and long-lasting results.
Porcelain veneers have the ability to mimic the natural appearance, strength, protection and durability of healthy tooth enamel. This treatment is a minimally invasive dental restoration, creating discreet yet attractive results.
This revolutionary dental technique can help with:
- Concealing whitening or discoloration
- Restoring chipped or cracked teeth
- Closing gaps between teeth
- Masking misaligned teeth
- Permanent whitening
- As an alternative to orthodontic treatment
- Preserves natural tooth shape and structure
- Resistant to chipping
- Color matched to original teeth
- Natural looking smile!
Am I a suitable candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are strictly a cosmetic treatment, which balances the symmetry of your smile and conceals your dental flaws. If you are unhappy with your smile because of its esthetics such as those factors listed below than porcelain veneers may be a solution for you.
Here at Elite Dental Excellence we utilise porcelain as it is one of the most durable, strong and sturdy dental materials available. Porcelain is also stain resistant and can be color-matched to the exact shade of your teeth to mimic a natural-looking new smile.
During your consultation we will perform a full mouth examination to determine the most effective and appropriate treatment for you, in addition to assessing your needs and preferences. As there are various treatment options available to correct your dental concerns our dentist will always ensure you are fully informed about all dental options so you can make an informed decision about your future wellness.
How to care for and maintain your new smile
Once your smile has been restored to a whiter brighter healthier looking smile, it is important to maintain these beneficial results by following a consistent wellness regime. Although porcelain is stain resistant, they can still become discolored if not properly cared for. It is important to brush at least twice a day, flossing at least once day just like you would your natural teeth to maintain good oral health and the longevity of your veneers.
Consistent and proper oral care oral will help avoid bacteria from accumulating on the surface and between the teeth which causes many dental problems such as gingivitis, cavities and gum disease. Remember to pay attention to the back of your teeth, as veneers only cover the front surface of your natural teeth.
- Veneers can change the size, shape and color of teeth.
- Veneers are porcelain and will not stain.
- Veneers remove minimal tooth structure and are the most conservative porcelain restoration.
In having a veneer, some inherent risks exist both to the tooth and to the veneer itself.
The risks to the tooth are:
- Preparation for a veneer permanently alters the tooth underneath the veneer.
- If the cement seal at the edge of the veneer is lost, decay may form at the juncture of the veneer and tooth.
- Preparing for and placing a veneer can irritate the tooth and cause “post-operative” sensitivity which may last for up to 3 months.
- Teeth which have had veneers may need root canal treatment less than 1% of the time during the lifetime of the tooth.
The risks to the veneer are:
- Porcelain may chip over time.
- If the tooth needs a root canal after the veneer is permanently cemented, the procedure may fracture the veneer and the veneer may need to be replaced.
Alternatives to placing a veneer are to either leave the tooth as is or to place a composite restoration. Composite restorations remove decay but are limited because they will stain more and do not change the size and color of teeth as well as veneers.
- Porcelain on a veneer may have a good color match with adjacent natural teeth when the veneer is placed but less of a match as your natural teeth age.
- A veneer may chip or break if used for abnormal activities (e.g. biting fishing line, sewing thread, biting fingernails, opening bottles).
Porcelain veneers can help to repair a number of issues, including chips and cracks. They can also be used to conceal cosmetic stains and discoloration, and are actually an effective permanent whitening option. Dental veneers are often used to close gaps between teeth, and can even be used to mask misaligned teeth as an alternative to orthodontic treatment. Dental veneers are made from a durable, chip-resistant material, and can be very helpful in preserving the natural shape and structure of the tooth, while achieving a natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing smile.
At Elite Dental of Staten Island, we offer dental veneers that are made from porcelain. Porcelain can be color-matched to the exact shade of your teeth, which means that your veneers will look completely natural. We will also make sure that your dental veneers are customized for your particular needs and desired outcome in terms of size and shape. We will ensure that your porcelain veneers balance the symmetry of your smile and conceal any dental flaws that you might have, while still maintaining a beautiful, natural-looking appearance.
Once your dental veneers have been placed, it is very important that you take proper care of them to ensure that they last in the long term. In order to maintain your veneers, you should brush at least twice day, and floss at least once a day just as you would your natural teeth. This will help to maintain your overall oral health, prevent your veneers from becoming stained and discolored, and ensure the longevity of your restorations. We also recommend that you come in for regular dental check-ups so that we can check for any issues.